Trader Joe’s Wild Argentian Shrimp

Wednesday July 11, 2012

Get thee to Trader Joe’s ASAP and snap these up.

IMG_6839.JPG

Trader Joe’s Uncooked Wild Argentinian Red Shrimp

I first spotted this shrimp  in my local Trader Joe’s back in May and was so excited to see reasonably priced *wild* shrimp, I bought six packs.   Lucky I did, because every time I’ve been back to TJs I’ve looked for more and they’ve been out.  When I asked about it, I was told they have supply issues and couldn’t even tell when they’d get more in.

Yesterday, while shopping at the Trader Joe’s in Tysons Corner, I glanced in the seafood section and they were back!   This time I bought ten packs :).

While I Love It:   It’s wild caught (I will no longer buy farm-raised), it’s already peeled and deveined, and …  stop the presses … it’s only $8.99/lb!!!  Seriously you cannot find wild shrimp at that price unless you are at the beach.

It tastes great and is super convenient.   I highly recommend you head straight to Trader Joe’s and stock up before they run out again!

Disclosure:  this opinion is wholly my own and I was not compensated for this review, but if TJs wanted to pay in the form of Argentian shrimp, I’d happily accept!

"Trader Joe's Wild Argentian Shrimp", 5 out of 5 based on 1 ratings.

Tags: ,

13 Responses to Trader Joe’s Wild Argentian Shrimp

Krista says:

Any recipes with that? Thanks!

Patti says:

Great product! I just made shrimp tacos with these that were fabulous.

Todd says:

This is one of my favorite shrimp. I posted a link back to this page on http://www.facebook.com/argentineredshrimp. There are a bunch of recipes to check out there.

Linda says:

March 2013, Meijer supermarket has 2# shell on Red Argentine Shrimp for $11.99. I bought a bag and RUNNING back today to stock up. Sweet but don’t overcook.

C.A. Sinisi says:

If you like lobster, you’ll love these shrimp!

spellmaven says:

Is it from Argent??

Humpinit says:

The shrimp bleed a red dye like I have never seen. Not sure of the purity of these “wild caught shrimp”

Gayle says:

jAfter growing up in Charleston, SC, where the only shrimp consumed are “wild” shrimp, I am an admitted shrimp snob. The gulf coast shrimp in Houston are very good, but still not quite as sweet as the fabulous creek shrimp in Charleston; HOWEVER, I just tasted the red Argentinian shrimp from Trader Joe’s, and I can’t wait to buy more. I needed some shrimp quickly and simply sautéed them in a little butter. WOW! I want more of those ASAP! Trust me, folks, they are excellent!

Bob says:

The red/orange foam or residue in the boiled shrimp water is the natural pigment, astaxanthin, released from the shrimp exoskeleton by heat. Normal as can be. You can’t see these prior to cooking as a protein coat obscures their color until heat destroys the protein coat.

Peter says:

I absolutely love this shrimp, but just read from Seafood Watch that there is a major problem with by catch, meaning other creatures who get caught and killed in the process of catching this shrimp. Drat.

Nate says:

I am going to try to be as nice and polite as I can in what I’m about to say, because you might not be aware of the discourteous nature of your actions. But this is just something that irks me, especially being in a high-demand area with only one Trader Joe’s. Ten bags? I understand you wanting to stock up on your favorite, but keep in mind that there are other patrons who would like to snag a bag of these as well. Please consider how selfish and rude it is to clean out their inventory, leaving none for others. There is such a problem at the store in my town with food hoarders such as yourself, that they had to move these shrimp to the back and they have to be requested, with a limit of two per customer. Please just think about having some common courtesy. Sorry if I come across as rude.

CJ says:

Nate, nicely written. I never thought about it, but I normally stock up, only because I have to take a taxi to and from TJs. I only go every few weeks, as far as I know there is no hoarder issues here in nyc, but I will ask at the TJ next time I am there. I certainly don’t mean to be rude, but I also don’t want to be perceived as a hoarder, so, I will be more conscientious. Thanks for your input. My husband hates this shrimp, but instead prefers the normal blue bag of shrimp.