Trader Joe’s Wild Argentian Shrimp

Wednesday July 11, 2012

Get thee to Trader Joe’s ASAP and snap these up.

IMG_6839.JPG

Trader Joe’s Uncooked Wild Argentinian Red Shrimp

I first spotted this shrimp  in my local Trader Joe’s back in May and was so excited to see reasonably priced *wild* shrimp, I bought six packs.   Lucky I did, because every time I’ve been back to TJs I’ve looked for more and they’ve been out.  When I asked about it, I was told they have supply issues and couldn’t even tell when they’d get more in.

Yesterday, while shopping at the Trader Joe’s in Tysons Corner, I glanced in the seafood section and they were back!   This time I bought ten packs :).

While I Love It:   It’s wild caught (I will no longer buy farm-raised), it’s already peeled and deveined, and …  stop the presses … it’s only $8.99/lb!!!  Seriously you cannot find wild shrimp at that price unless you are at the beach.

It tastes great and is super convenient.   I highly recommend you head straight to Trader Joe’s and stock up before they run out again!

Disclosure:  this opinion is wholly my own and I was not compensated for this review, but if TJs wanted to pay in the form of Argentian shrimp, I’d happily accept!

"Trader Joe's Wild Argentian Shrimp", 5 out of 5 based on 1 ratings.

Tags: ,

20 Responses to Trader Joe’s Wild Argentian Shrimp

Krista says:

Any recipes with that? Thanks!

Patti says:

Great product! I just made shrimp tacos with these that were fabulous.

Todd says:

This is one of my favorite shrimp. I posted a link back to this page on http://www.facebook.com/argentineredshrimp. There are a bunch of recipes to check out there.

Linda says:

March 2013, Meijer supermarket has 2# shell on Red Argentine Shrimp for $11.99. I bought a bag and RUNNING back today to stock up. Sweet but don’t overcook.

C.A. Sinisi says:

If you like lobster, you’ll love these shrimp!

spellmaven says:

Is it from Argent??

Humpinit says:

The shrimp bleed a red dye like I have never seen. Not sure of the purity of these “wild caught shrimp”

Gayle says:

jAfter growing up in Charleston, SC, where the only shrimp consumed are “wild” shrimp, I am an admitted shrimp snob. The gulf coast shrimp in Houston are very good, but still not quite as sweet as the fabulous creek shrimp in Charleston; HOWEVER, I just tasted the red Argentinian shrimp from Trader Joe’s, and I can’t wait to buy more. I needed some shrimp quickly and simply sautéed them in a little butter. WOW! I want more of those ASAP! Trust me, folks, they are excellent!

Bob says:

The red/orange foam or residue in the boiled shrimp water is the natural pigment, astaxanthin, released from the shrimp exoskeleton by heat. Normal as can be. You can’t see these prior to cooking as a protein coat obscures their color until heat destroys the protein coat.

Peter says:

I absolutely love this shrimp, but just read from Seafood Watch that there is a major problem with by catch, meaning other creatures who get caught and killed in the process of catching this shrimp. Drat.

Nate says:

I am going to try to be as nice and polite as I can in what I’m about to say, because you might not be aware of the discourteous nature of your actions. But this is just something that irks me, especially being in a high-demand area with only one Trader Joe’s. Ten bags? I understand you wanting to stock up on your favorite, but keep in mind that there are other patrons who would like to snag a bag of these as well. Please consider how selfish and rude it is to clean out their inventory, leaving none for others. There is such a problem at the store in my town with food hoarders such as yourself, that they had to move these shrimp to the back and they have to be requested, with a limit of two per customer. Please just think about having some common courtesy. Sorry if I come across as rude.

CJ says:

Nate, nicely written. I never thought about it, but I normally stock up, only because I have to take a taxi to and from TJs. I only go every few weeks, as far as I know there is no hoarder issues here in nyc, but I will ask at the TJ next time I am there. I certainly don’t mean to be rude, but I also don’t want to be perceived as a hoarder, so, I will be more conscientious. Thanks for your input. My husband hates this shrimp, but instead prefers the normal blue bag of shrimp.

Chris says:

Do they have a weird taste? I just bought these for the first time because so many customers at the store were raving about them. They had a horrible ammonia after taste. I simmered them for over 10 minutes. Were they under cooked? Is there a trick to preparing them so that they don’t have that smell or taste?

• 13.1
      Mike says:

Yes! Chris there is definitely something wrong with the taste. I haven’t gotten sick but I never want to purchase again though.

• 13.2
      Liser says:

Unless TJ’s puts a limit on it, ‘First Come, First Serve’, Nate.
      Your complaint would be best served (no pun intended)to address TJ’s with this for their consideration, if they think this is becoming a problem.

• 13.3
      Lisa Van Shart says:

The ammonia smell or taste is because the seafood is spoiled a little. It could be that the bag you got was thawed in shipment and refrozen. That’s not the usual case. I’ve purchased at my local Trader’s and have no problems. Before I was a fan of Costco frozen shrimp, but after tasting these from Traders’ I’m switching! The price is about just $1.00 per pound more. These are plump meaty and tasty. As for cooking, I suggest, dredge in corn starch with salt and pepper and then deep fry in a pan with fairly hot oil. I use peanut oil and fry just for 1 minute … perfect! Drain and enjoy!

The Costco shrimp are from Viet Nam and these are from Argentina.

T says:

Yum! Just roasted these in a bit of butter oil and garlic for about 20 mins at 350. Then took the shrimp and garlic off the baking dish, added some white wine to the butter and oil that remained and turned the oven up to 450 for 10 mins until the liquid halved and was a great concentrated butter and wine sauce that I then poured over the shrimp. These are better than most shrimp. And terrific value.

Albert says:

My wife brought home ‘wild caught Argentinean shrimp’ which were large and looked appetizing until I noticed the small print that said “PRODUCT OF CHINA.” Uh? So I phoned the company 800 number -equally small print. The first person to answer said she could address my concerns ; she stated that they were caught by Argentine fishermen ,then shipped to China for packaging , then shipped to Montreal ,Canada to the find its way onto grocery shelves. I asked why they couldn’t be packaged in Argentina or Canada at an overall reduced price factoring in the cost of shipment around the world twice. She had no answer to that. I belief they are caught by factory trawlers operated by China and are indeed a product of China. Their packaging is deceptive to say the least. I have doubts about all food Chinese so I will not again be purchasing these products .