Crazy for Crossfit

Sunday January 8, 2012

You may or may not remember, but back in November, I started working out at my husband’s Crossfit gym box.  I had been out of shape, getting fatter and frustrated with myself for not doing anything about it.

Initially, I found the workouts and the whole concept super-intimidating, but it didn’t last long, and the huge endorphin rush I would get after workouts quickly got me hooked.   Now that I am two months in, I can say that I have officially joined the cult and am happily drinking the Kool-Aid :).

People ask me if I have lost weight.  I know that I have, but I don’t have an exact number — I’m guessing around 10 lbs.  Better than a number, I’m fitting into jeans I haven’t been able to wear for more than a year, and feeling better overall.

I went looking for some pictures to show my progress, but I have been hiding from the camera for a while.   The best “before” picture I could find was back in May, when my hubby & I went ape for our anniversary.  My “Now” picture comes from our recent beach trip over New Years.

IMG_3478.JPGIMG_2107-2.JPG

While I am a far cry from size 0 (and I have no desire to be one), I have significantly toned up and feel much better about how I look.  And I’m happy to say, this is not my “after” picture, but just a stop along the journey.

The Crazy Keeps Coming

To demonstrate how crazy Crossfit has made me, I have signed on for something I NEVER thought I would do.   I and am participating in a “Performance Nutrition Challenge” at the gym.   For the next 60 days, I am going “Paleo“, which basically  means I will be eliminating all grains, dairy, and sugar from my diet.    A hefty challenge indeed for this carb-loving, cheese-eating, sweet-toothed momma.

All of this is to say, you may notice some additional content on the blog with a different kind of focus.  I’ve been keeping track of the workouts I’ve completed and recording my progress.  It’s mostly for my benefit, but if you are curious, you can check out the My Workouts link.   Also, I added a Crossfit tab to the navigation up top and put a few links up there, providing more Crossfit & Paleo information.

I use to mock my husband when he couldn’t be in a room with friends or strangers without talking about Crossfit. I used to call him the Crossfit Evangelist.  Now I realize the problem was I just hadn’t seen the light.  I find myself in the same boat, babbling about my WOD to people who look at me with bewildered expressions on their face.

So, if you are interested in Crossfit, I’d be happy to talk your ear off, or better yet — have you join me at the box to see what it is all about!

Images from Pinterest.com

Tags: , ,

11 Responses to Crazy for Crossfit

Jo says:

K, you’re a rock star! Love that “closer than I was yesterday” picture too. Keep up the inspiring work!
    Jo

Kim says:

Kendra, I had a similar realization 2 years ago when I did a program at my gym that focused on weights over cardio. And weights plus cardio in intervals is even better. My first thought was how boring, but when I saw how much of a difference weights made in my appearance (not much effect on the pounds, but the toning and slimming was awesome!) I became a believer. Stayed that way until morning sickness and a few scares early on in my pregnancy made me cautious about exercise. Once this baby arrives I will be back in the gym doing my weights and loving it!

Darcy says:

I’m so glad you posted this, my neighbor has become addicted to crossfit too and I’ve been looking into classes. How often do you go? Do you do any other workouts too or just crossfit? I’m really interested in getting started.

• 3.1
      Kendra says:

Darcy,

Because I’m doing this Paleo challenge (and thus earning points for workouts), I’m trying to workout 5-6xs a week.

When I started, i was averaging 4xs a week, but not doing any other form of exercise. Many of the area Xfit operations offer a 3xsa week rate or unlimited. If you are doing other exercise, 3xs should be plenty.

I used to be an avid ultimate frisbee player, but that petered out after kids. I’ve done other stuff here and there, but this is my main regimen right now.

Mel says:

Way 2 go Meanest Momma! So proud of you, happy for you & Xfit Dad. Great pic, keep it up!

Cannot believe you’re going 60 days Paleo. You really do go all out when you put your mind to something!!!

Darcy says:

Thanks for the info! I can’t make it out to Tysons, but I’m looking into starting at the South Arlington club, I just have to wait until Dan’s home so I can go. I’m scared and excited. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Darcy says:

first Crossfit class tonight. Wow. I will be returning, exhausted though I am. Thanks for the encouragement!

• 6.1
      Kendra says:

Awesome! It’s scary at first but man, I love that feeling post-workout. Keep it up! (I’ve lost over 20lbs since I started in November — and that includes through Christmas time).

Adeena says:

I’ve been hearing more and more about crossfit… need to look into it. 😉

And, I’m starting a Whole 30 on Monday! 😀 http://whole9life.com/2012/01/whole-30-v2012/