One of our favorite Saturday morning meals is french toast. I have a yummy french toast casserole I like to make for brunches or special occasions, but basic french toast is good enough for Saturday morning, and an easy meal for kids to help make.
Bread (the thicker and staler the better), egg, milk (or half and half, in my case), vanilla, cinnamon, and syrup.
I like to use a casserole dish because it is flat bottomed, but the sides are high enough to double as a mixing bowl.
1. Crack an egg into your dish. Use a fork to mix it up.
2. Add 1 cup milk. I used half and half for richer flavor (plus, I needed to use it up).
3. Add 1 tsp. vanilla.
4. Add a couple of shakes of cinnamon. I don’t really measure, but I’m sure it’s less than 1/2 tsp.
5. Add a glug of syrup. Again, I don’t measure, but I’d guess it’s about 1 Tbsp.
Your mixture will probably look something like this.
6. Stir with a fork until ingredients are combined — be sure the egg is well mixed.
7. Heat up a skillet to medium-low heat and add a couple pats of butter.
8. Take your bread and dip it into the milk-egg mixture.
Gently swirl it to get let the mixture soak in, but don’t let it get so soggy it falls apart. Turn bread over to coat both sides.
9. Let excess drip off then place on the skillet.
10. Cook for a couple of minutes on each side.
Figuring out how long takes a bit of guess work. Use a spatula to see how the underside looks before flipping. Your idea of perfection may vary from mine, but it will generally look a teeny bit brown and cooked, but still a little moist. You can see the left piece got cooked a little longer than I intended.
11. Immediately after cooking, transfer to plate, top with syrup and enjoy!
This recipe is sure to be a kid pleaser, especially if the kid helps make it!
Basic French Toast
- 8 slices bread (preferably thick, and slightly stale)
- 1 cup milk (or half and half)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ~1/2 tsp. cinnamon (a few shakes will do)
- ~1 Tbsp. syrup (a quick glug will do)
- 1 Tbsp butter or cooking spray
Crack egg in a flat bottomed dish and beat with a fork. Add remaining ingredients and stir.
Heat skillet to medium-low and add a pat of butter (or spray pan with cooking spray).
Dip bread in mixture, coating both sides.
Cook on skillet for ~2 minutes, then flip and cook other side. Adjust heat as needed.
Serve with syrup and enjoy!