This is a recipe I’ve been making for several years and could have sworn already had it up on my blog, but alas, I guess I never got around to it.
I got it from a friend, who I think said she got it from Cooking Light, but I haven’t found it online anywhere, so here’s her/my version.
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup finely ground tortilla chips
- 1 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 3 Tbsp chives or scallions, chopped
- ½ cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 large egg white
- 2 pitas, halved
- Light mash beans with a fork or potato masher in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients (except the pita) to black beans and mix by hand until well combined.
- High skillet on medium-high heat with 1 Tbsp olive oil.
- Form 4¼ inch patties and cook for approximately 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve by placing falafel into pita halves and top with avocado slices or guacamole
Here’s how they look before cooking. You can see the black beans don’t have to be mashed to a pulp.
The finished product. In this case, I was out of pitas, but slathered in guacamole, nobody complained.