This is a recipe I got from my mom — I’m sure there are lots of versions out there, but I didn’t see any exactly like she made it, so I’m sharing this version. It’s not a fussy recipe, feel free to play with the proportions, substitute with what you have on hand, etc.
It’s also a great way to use up that summer bounty from the garden.
You basically layer different types of squash with onions and tomatoes and bake for 45 minutes.
Here’s how it looked after I did a layer of zucchini, then onions, then yellow squash (incomplete, so you can see what’s below).
I finished with another layer of onion, followed by tomatoes. I then drizzled olive oil on top and seasoned with salt and pepper.
After baking for 40 minutes, I topped with parmesan cheese and cooked for another 5 minutes. It came out looking delish and tasting better than it looked!
I’m not a big veggie eater, but I had no problem devouring this. Sadly, the kids currently have an anti-squash stance, so they turned up their noses at this dish, but that didn’t prevent the 3 grown-ups from licking the plate clean.
Here’s the recipe.
Summer Squash Tomato Bake
Recipe Type: Vegetable Side
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 45 mins
Total time: 1 hour
Serves: 4-6 people
- 1 medium Zucchini, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 medium Yellow Squash, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 medium onion, sliced into half moons
- 2 medium tomatoes on the vine, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (skip the cheese to keep it Paleo)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Take a 9″x9″ square or 9″ round pan and drizzle a little olive oil in the bottom of the pan.
- Layer produce in the pan — I start with zucchini on the bottom, then a layer of onion slices, then squash, and finally tomato slices on top.
- Drizzle a little more olive oil on top and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Top dish with parmesan cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.
A mandolin slicer is a great tool to use to get evenly sliced veggies, but not a requirement.
This post is linked up to: