WFMW: Praise Songs?

Wednesday May 4, 2011

I haven’t been faithful in keeping up with Works For Me Wednesdays, but I can never resist the “Backwards Edition”.  This is where you, faithful readers, share your tips with me!

Specifically — I am looking for a suggestion for praise and worship songs.  My daughter has expressed interest in having some on her mp3 player and I have to confess, my knowledge of christian music isn’t as deep as it could be.

One of my favorite praise songs is Matt Redman’s “Blessed be The Name“, another favorite is Chris Tomlin’s “God of Wonders.”  These songs and so powerful and the style of music greatly appeals to me — I love having these kinds of songs stuck in my head instead something from popular culture.

In addition to contemporary praise songs, I’ve also been wanting to find a good cd/album of traditional hymns.   We attend a wonderful church with contemporary music, but I occasionally long for the hymns I grew up with and I want my children to learn them too.

So please tell me — what are your favorite artists, albums, and songs,  that feature praise songs and/or traditional hymns?

Find more tips at Works For Me Wednesday at WeAreThatFamily.com.

Tags:

9 Responses to WFMW: Praise Songs?

Amy says:

I love Alan Jackson’s CD of hymns. I can’t remember the name of it right now.
    I also love pretty much anything by Chris Tomlin and Mercy Me. My newest favorite is Blessings by Laura Story.
    It’s great that she wants to listen to Christian music. I hope you guys find stuff she loves! I have even been running to it, so I come home refreshed body and spirit.

• 1.1
      Kendra says:

Thanks Amy – I will definitely check out AJ’s cd. I really like Chris Tomlin and Mercy Me too but I’m not familiar with Laura Story. I’ll have to check her out too. Thanks for stopping by!

Annie says:

I don’t have any specific song suggestions, but you could always check out pandora.com. You type in the name of an artist or song and they bring up and play songs with similar qualities. I love to pull it up and listen in the background while I’m doing other things. It also gives you the name of the song, artist, and album for every song it plays. I hope that you have success in finding music you and your daughter both enjoy!

Our Christian Radio station has a list of the hottest praise songs requested at this link: http://www.sosradio.net/200812/music.htm. I really like the first one on the list: What a Savior by Laura Story. I also love Toby Mac, which should be teen friendly. I hope you find lots of great music.

Courtney says:

Oh yes, I have the same confession. But I have discovered that I love pretty much everything by Need to Breathe. You may like them more than your daughter. A great family choice is Seeds Family Worship – their CDs set actual verses to music and I find myself singing along. Very “modern” music and a great way to memorize scripture, without even realizing you are doing it. Good luck!

Mel says:

Ah, where to start? I highly recommend setting up a Pandora station just for Wesley & letting her thumbs-up or thumbs-down the tunes. Owen does that already on his station. It will give you an idea for what cd’s would actually be worth buying.

Laura Story just came out with 2 new solo cd’s after singing for years with the group Siler’s Bald. One of her original songs, “Grace,” was sung in our wedding. She’s a great solo artist and penned “Mighty to Save,” a praise song sung regularly at IBC.

Some others I think you and Wesley would like for modern day hymns/praise songs:
    Christy Nockels (she used to sing in a band named Watermark, still love Watermark’s cd’s! Try “Grace Flows Down,” “Choose,” “Life Light Up” “A Mighty Fortress”
    Keith & Kristyn Getty
    Barlow Girl
    SuperChick
    Chris Tomlin
    Mercy Me

I’ll send you a more detailed email.

Sweet Pea Chef says:

Let me get out my iPod. I run to upbeat Praise Music. I love Matt Redman, Chris Tomlin, Matt Maher. Some songs my boys (4 and 7) love, I “*” the favorites. Honestly, a few of these are also played on mainstream pop stations, I heard “Your Love” by Brandon Heath at my dentist’s office!

Next Thing You Know — Matthew West