When Wendy told me what she wanted to be for Halloween, I was delighted. I also knew that this particular costume wasn’t likely to be hanging on the racks of Party City or Target and it seemed like a somewhat simple concept, so how hard could it be to do-it-myself?
I found myself at Jo-ann’s (a fabric store) with a plan to just “wing it”. But when I wandered over to the patterns area and saw that costume patterns were marked down to .99c, I dove right in. Lo and behold, they had the pattern I needed! With instructions in hand, I mulled over fabric choices, then committed, got it cut and paid for. Finally, nearly 2 hours later, I made my way out of the store. Of course I started this project with visions of this being a $10 deal, and of course I walked out of Joann’s $30 poorer.
This weekend I tackled the costume. I pre-washed. I cut, I pinned, I ironed, I sweated, I swore, and I sewed. 10+ hours later, I am finally ready to show to present to you:
Mary, mother of Jesus.
Although my sewing is full of imperfections and I never want to sew a “narrow hem” again, I am thrilled with how it turned out. Wendy loves it too, which is the icing on the cake.