I think the key to not only surviving summer, but enjoying it is to have a plan. Before summer arrives, I think of all these fun things I want to do with the kids during the summer, but if I don’t sit down and plan them out, they will never happen. Even worse, on a day when I have nothing planned, the kids will whine, “Whatarewegonnadotodaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay?” and I’ll have no ideas.
So, I’ve compiled a list of things I hope to do this summer. This is an abridged version of the fuller list I put together for my MOPS group. These are just my personal picks for “must do” this summer. A lot of great places aren’t on my list simply because we’ve done them before and I want to hit some other spots. As we visit these places, I will check them off () and link up to the related blog post.
Explore Local Parks, Playgrounds, and Green Spaces
- Check out Arlington Playgrounds — I’ve compiled a big list on my blog
- Find good places to bike ride (refer to list above)
- Look beyond Arlington, specifically:
- River Farm, Alexandria
Check Out DC
- Ride the Metro downtown and visit:
See Some Animals
- The Zoo (S. wants to go, I’m dreading it in the summer heat)
- National Aquarium, Baltimore or DC
- Frying Pan Park, Herndon or Oxon Hill Farm, Oxon Hill, MD
Check out some Planes and/or Trains
- Picnic Dinner at Gravelly Point
- National Museum of Air & Space (DC) or Udvar-Hazy (Dulles)
- See the Flying Circus — an old fashioned air show; reviewed 7/15/10
Rainy Day / Indoor Fun
- Cookwith the kids:
- Bake cookies (or other dessert)
- Let the kids have a turn planning a meal and help cook it. (the older 2)
- Make Your Own Pizza Party
- Catch a Movie
- Go Bowling — Kids Bowl Free
- Visit a Nature Center (Potomac Overlook, Long Branch or Hidden Oaks)
- Get Arty — Explore More Program at the Greater Reston Arts Center ($)
- Read — get rewarded via Borders, Barnes & Nobles, Arlington Co., Fairfax Co, Falls Church.
- Visit the Library — storytimes programs at Arlington, Falls Church, etc.
- Go to a Bounce House
- Go to an Indoor Play area
See a Performance
- Go to Fairfax Corner – water fountains + Tiny Tots Summer Series on Wednesday & Saturday
- Go to Wolf Trap’s Theatre-in-the-Woods: Robbie Shaefer 7/6 – 7/10, Steve Songs 7/13 – 7/17
- Swim! — we have passes to Upton Hill and will do swim lessons
- Local spraygrounds – Hayes Park — reviewed 7/10/10
- Fairfax Corner water fountain
Visit an Amusement Park (or two)
Have Fun without Mom!
Take a Trip
- Visit the Grands — blogged 7/27/10
- Camp — we love Buggs Island, Burke Lake, and Big Meadow are other good options
- Go to the Beach — we love the Outer Banks, but this year we’re going to check out Rehoboth, DE (8/26/10)
- Have a picnic lunch with Daddy at work
- Go out on Grandad’s Boat
- Plan and execute a some sort of service project (I’d love to hear your ideas!)
- Give kids a chance to pick the activity for the day
- Have a picnic in the back yard in a box
Having a plan for summer fun works for me. What’s on your summer to do list?