Maine or Bust

Sunday July 13, 2008

It’s summertime … and the living’s easy. Guess what we’ve been up to? “Up” being the operative word .. because we’ve been up north you see. Mike had a business trip for work planned, so rather than stay home and play single mom to my 3 munchkins, I was just crazy enough to pack my 3 kiddos up and take a 550 mile roadtrip to visit our “Mainely Myles” friends.

Here’s how it went.

Day One – Monday

The plan was to depart at 5:30am, the same time the cab was coming to take Daddy to the airport. I did a pretty good job of packing the night before. So when the baby woke at 4:30, I got up, got him fed and got things going. Surprisingly, we did get away by 5:30am, and the only thing we seemed to have forgotten was the pillows. And to verify that both big kids had gone potty.

We had barely gotten on I-95 when Sam informed me he needed to potty. He told Daddy he went when he got up, but apparently that wasn’t the case. There was no way in heck I was getting off the highway in the first 30 minutes of our trip, but clearly I had to do something for Sam. So … I pulled over on the side of the interstate waaay over. Climbed back, unbuckled Sam and opened the minivan door. Had him stand at the edge of the open door and pee out into the grass. Yay for boys! ~ 2 minutes later, we were all buckled up and back on our way.

As you might be able to guess, I’m the kind of roadtripper who likes to go as fast and as directly as possible with as few stops as possible. Of course with two preschoolers and a breastfeeding baby, this would be somewhat challenging. But praise the Lord, our trip went really smoothly and the kids did great. I thought they would sleep the first leg and didn’t, but were still very cooperative. We had one stop in NJ, then sailed through NYC and up to Connecticut. We stopped a nice grassy rest area, had a picnic lunch and gave the kids time to run and stretch their legs. It was a beautiful day and they had fun playing. We had two more brief stops in there and made it to our destination around 5pm – a mere 11.5 hours later.

The Myles greeted us warmly and the kids were excited to play with Caed & “Baby Dani”. We enjoyed a yummy dinner and hit the hay to get rested up for a day of fun the next day.

Stay tuned as I blog our adventures. I’ll be sharing pics as I go (I took none the first day), but if you can’t wait, check the Maine photo album for a sneak peak. You’ll have to come back here for the story.

Read on to Day 2

Tags: ,

One Response to Maine or Bust

  1. 1
    Renee says:

    Wow, you are a brave woman! Maybe a little crazy also. 🙂 It looks like you had a great trip and I am looking forward to reading all about it.


View My Recipes On

Chowstalker Badge